Product Manager role
Wordnerds is an award-winning tech startup with huge ambitions to create the best text analysis platform in the world.
90% of the world’s data was produced in the last two years and there are no signs of it slowing down. The vast majority of all that data—up to 80%, according to some—exists in the form of words which, unlike numbers, are difficult to process and understand at scale.
Wordnerds combines cutting-edge AI with old-school linguistics to train computers to understand the huge volume of unstructured text that is currently invisible to most companies. We make sense of the millions of tweets, emails, webchats, online reviews, CRM-entries, forum posts and survey results written about—and by—big brands and their competitors.
It’s a hugely exciting time for us right now. Following our first raise in June 2019 we’re growing faster than our projections and we’re looking for a Product Manager to join the team as we embark on the next step of this challenging, high octane and incredibly rewarding journey.
We need someone who is passionate about all things product development. Someone who can speak both to humans - our customers and the wider team - and those code-crunching dev types. An agile enthusiast, with an eye for detail, organisational skills off the Richter and an outstanding communicator. Someone in it for the long haul, who will be excited to develop our platform, grow and learn with us. :)
What you’ll do
As a SaaS startup preparing to embark on our scale-up journey, it’s safe to say the list of features and product updates we would like to work on has never been longer(!). It’s vital for us to focus on the areas that will provide the most value to our customers, both current and future, in order to hit our ambitious growth plans and stay ahead of the curve. That’s where you come in. :)
We need a Product Manager to build strong relationships with all of our key stakeholders and get a deep understanding of the problems that the Wordnerds platform is solving for our customers and ways we could provide even more value. With a strong and constant flow of feedback from them, and our sales, marketing and customer success teams, you’ll help design the vision for the platform and prioritise that vision into a roadmap.
Using this feedback and working closely with our engineers, you’ll dive into the detail of what exactly we need to build. You’ll write briefs, determine MVPs and create user stories so that the engineering team is crystal clear on the outcome required and can focus on the plan of attack to achieve it.
As the feature is being built iteratively - did we mention we love agile? - you’ll be the glue between the engineers and the rest of the team (and key stakeholders), ensuring we are getting lots of early feedback as we go.
Once the feature is complete (yay!) you can show it off to us, present it to our customers, and monitor its performance via analytics and feedback.
The Product Manager role is hugely varied and absolutely vital to the successful progression of our platform. We’re looking for someone who can be visionary and detailed, someone with exceptional verbal and written communication skills, and a real team player who can adapt to our ever-changing priorities and needs.
Your role will involve:
- Being an expert in our platform. Part of your initial onboarding will involve getting to know our platform really (really) well.
- Building strong relationships with our customers in order to gather feedback on current and proposed features.
- Getting feedback from our sales, marketing and customer success teams on their use of the platform.
- Regularly liaising with our technical experts - engineers, data scientists, linguists - on how we can continue to innovate the product.
- Maintain systems and processes to ensure a consistent and always improving experience for product development.
- Collating and presenting all information gathered in relation to platform development in roadmap and product vision meetings.
- Maintaining an accurate published version of the roadmap on our project management system.
- Working with the technical teams to scope out new features and updates, including writing briefs, creating user stories, determining MVP requirements, sketching wireframes, understanding timescales etc.
- Championing agile development.
- Taking part in scrums to get daily updates on development.
- Contributing to the other scrum ceremonies, including backlog refinement, sprint plans and retrospectives.
- Using product reviews to present newly developed features to us and our customers.
- Monitor the success of new features via platform analytics and customer feedback.
- Determining and owning the progress of our product team OKRs and key metrics.
- Sharing your ideas, strategies and feedback - you’ll be our fresh pair of eyes and a valuable member of our tight and growing team. :)
We’re interested in getting the right type of person in this role and so we’re not only looking at previous experience, although for this role in particular previous experience as a product manager, agile delivery manager, scrum master or similar is essential. We’re less concerned whether it’s fifty years’ experience you have, or one. Instead, we’re looking for the following skills/traits:
- Exceptional communicator (written and verbal) - getting useful feedback is a skill and can often involve asking the right questions. As well as this, you’ll need to write detailed briefs and be able to translate technical spiel into language normal humans can understand.
- Good with people - this role involves liaising regularly with all departments in Wordnerds and our customers.
- Team player - there is nothing more fun (in our opinion, anyway!) than being a part of this crazy SaaS startup/scale-up ride, but it does mean things move at a fast pace and our priorities can change quickly. We need someone who can think on their feet and isn’t scared of rolling up their sleeves to help us reach our goals.
- Positive attitude, open-minded and willing to learn - we’re not necessarily looking for all of the answers (where’s the fun in that?!) but for someone who is happy to try new things, learn from mistakes and help us to continuously improve.
- Self-motivated, organised, resilient, persistent and able to work independently.
- Entrepreneurial flair, creative with an embrace for learning.
- Nice people: we’re a tight team with a great culture and a commitment to inclusion and diversity. If you’re not friendly, interested in others, canny and open-minded, this probably isn’t for you.
Working at Wordnerds
We have an amazing team, we look after each other and don’t take ourselves too seriously. When the world is playing nicely, we’re based in a lush office in Proto, on the Gateshead Riverside and surrounded by exciting businesses working in emerging technology. We embrace remote working and work in a flexible, blended way. As well as this, we offer:
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays and an extra day for every two years you work with us up to a maximum of 30 days
- Flexible working hours
- Home and office working
- £35k-£45k salary plus performance bonus
- Strategy residentials
- Social budget
- Training budget
Please send through your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com outlining your experience and why you'd be a good fit. :)