PHP Software Engineer
Wordnerds is an award-winning tech startup with huge ambitions to create the best text analysis platform in the world.
90% of the world’s data was produced in the last two years and there are no signs of it slowing down. Of all the data out there, the vast majority is in the form of words which, unlike numbers, are difficult to process and understand in bulk.
Wordnerds combines cutting-edge AI with old-school linguistics to train computers to understand the huge volume of unstructured text that is currently invisible to most companies. We make sense of the millions of tweets, emails, webchats, online reviews, CRM-entries, forum posts and survey results written about - and by - big brands and their competitors.
It’s a hugely exciting time for us right now. Following our first raise in June 2019 we’re growing faster than our projections and, having recently expanded our Sales and Customer Success Team, we’re now looking for a shit-hot Software Engineer to not only join the team but to be invested in what’s set to be a challenging but incredibly rewarding journey. We need someone who’s in it for the long haul, to grow and learn with us. :)
What you’ll do
Our engineering team members (currently 4 of them) are responsible for working with our Product Owners to help define a feature, work as a team to deliver it and support it in production. We try to work as a group to attack problems wherever we can and have a collaborative attitude.
We value each team member having unique skills and areas of expertise, so the list below is not an exact set of requirements, but it describes the kinds of work our engineers do day to day. If you are stronger in some areas, that’s fine too. :)
Our Engineers generally spend their day:
- Building new backend features for one of our several services that make up the overall platform, developed mainly with Laravel and MySQL.
- Writing automated tests - we use a mixture of feature and browser tests
- Working with Product Owners to help plan out features
- Building the application front end with Vue, largely following flats or wireframes but it’s not uncommon to have to fill in some gaps where we don’t have a design
- Taking a turn at fielding any bug reports or queries from the Sales or Customer Success team (we take it in turns to cover these for a few weeks at a time to let everyone else concentrate)
- Operating as part of an agile scrum team, working in 2 week long sprints and regular retrospectives
- Peer review other engineers’ code
- Writing integrations with new APIs or adding to our suit of web crawlers to expand the number of data sources in to our platform
- Managing our infrastructure, currently we use AWS and are exploring Serverless and Kubernetes
- Sharing your ideas and feedback—you’ll be our fresh pair of eyes and a valuable member of our tight and growing team
We are looking for someone to come in at an experienced level. Bonus points for having worked in SaaS before, but we are still keen to hear from you if you are moving from a digital agency or other background as well. We’re interested in getting the right type of person in this role and so we don't want to put people off with an exact set of skills, but for context, here is the technology we currently work with:
- Laravel 7
- MySQL (AWS Aurora Serverless)
- A range of AWS services
- Laravel Dusk + PHPUnit
- GIT (we use Bitbucket for Pipelines and our pull request process)
- Modern HTML and SASS
This role is primarily about building on and maintaining our PHP/Vue applications, but we also have some Machine Learning services written in Python. If this is something you are interested in learning more about or already have some experience in, we would love to hear from you.
Working at Wordnerds
We have an amazing team, we look after each other and don’t take ourselves too seriously. We’re based in a lush office in Proto and surrounded by exciting businesses working in emerging technology. Some of us do yoga at lunchtimes (getting “zen AF”), some of us play pool or fussball. As well as this, we offer:
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays and an extra day for every two years you work with us up to a maximum of 30 days
- Flexible working hours
- Work from home or in our office, it's up to you!
- Social budget
- Training budget
Please send through your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining your experience and why you'd be a good fit. :)