Post: Full Stack PHP Developer
Hours of work: 37½ hours per week
Basic Salary: Commensurate with experience
Responsible to: Company Directors
About the role
Wordnerds uses Deep Learning, NLP and advanced linguistics to teach computers how to understand language, and find actionable insight for our clients. They include Nissan, Tommee Tippee, the Environment Agency and Northumbrian Water.
As a Full Stack PHP Developer, you will work on our range of SaaS products, building new products and maintaining existing ones. We are a revenue-generating, growing startup. You will work with other members of our Scrum team to design products and determine how the technical requirements of the product will be met.
For existing products, you will manage the hosting (Rackspace servers managed via Laravel Forge) and triage, and resolve issues as they may arise. The team will day to day consist of two or more developers (including you) and a Linguist/Account Manager. Where needed, a Graphic and UX Designer will be available. An important part of your role will be to help design the user interfaces and workflow, consulting the designer where required.
We were born out of a spin-off from a larger Digital Marketing agency with whom we share an office, so there is a vibrant office atmosphere and social occasions. This means that although we are a relatively small start-up, we have a range of experience to draw on where needed. We have a supportive culture and try to work together on problems and ask advice when we need it.
Our PHP framework of choice is Laravel. Our product ecosystem consists of a few core shared services (each as their own application) and a Laravel application providing the Dashboard for each SaaS product. Some knowledge of Python or an interest in learning it would be advantageous as we have some Python microservices to make use of NLP and Machine Learning libraries.
We try to have reasonable automated testing coverage where possible, using a mixture of browser, feature and unit testing.
Your skills should include:
- Strong PHP and MySQL, at least 3 years commercial experience working with modern OOP techniques and MVC frameworks
- Laravel 5 (on commercial projects)
- Front end development skills with a good eye for UX
- Cross-browser compatible, multi-device web page layout development using the latest HTML5/CSS3 standards‐compliant code to produce responsive websites
- GIT version control
- User acceptance and unit testing, PHPUnit
- Forward planning of work schedule, estimation of work and task prioritisation
Highly desirable skills could include:
- Any Machine Learning experience or interest
- Any experience or interest in NLP or linguistics
- Laravel Dusk
- Web scraping
- Horizontal Scaling and High Availability
Please send a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have anything you want to show off, you could include a link to your GitHub or a LinkedIn profile.